The authority for research and development of the energy of the state of New York (NYSERDA) provides financial assistance for projects to renovate existing data centers aimed at improving their energy efficiency. The amount of aid, which ranges between U.S. $ 10,000 and 5 million per installation, but should not exceed 50% of the total project cost. 60% of the grant is paid upon approval of the project, the remaining 40% paid after an audit of the renovated facilities.

Approved projects may relate to various organs of the data center but can be classified into two broad categories :
– The projects directly housed equipment (servers, racks, etc.), such as virtualization servers or servers with renewed energy efficient models.
– Projects on the center’s infrastructure data. The latter, which includes power systems (PDU, UPS [four], etc..) And the cooling system, consuming on average as much energy as the equipment accommodated. To increase efficiency, projects can be to renew by models with power-efficient, or to the cooling system, the establishment of a Free Cooling System).

Data centers that are still consuming more energy

The move comes when he becomes more and more difficult for generators to follow the continuing increase in power consumption of data centers. By themselves, the data centers in New York state consume approximately 4.5 billion kWh / year, as much as the annual consumption of 700,000 U.S. households.

According to a study by the Lawrence Berkley National Lab , in 2005 data centers consumed 56 billion would Kilowatthours across the United States and 152.5 billion Kilowatt worldwide (roughly equivalent to the annual electricity consumption of a country like Mexico). With the development of technologies such as cloud computing, increasing the power consumption is also worrying: it has doubled between 2000 and 2005 and represented this year, 1% of global electricity consumption. If the trend continues, it will double again within 3-5 years

A competition at the 2010 conference of the Uptime Institute

to promote its program, the NYSERDA held a contest for a data center in upstate New York is distinguished by the implementation of projects with significantly reduced power consumption. The results of this contest will be announced at the 2010 conference of the Uptime Institute, which takes place in New York on May 19.

Leave a Reply